Eternal Rider by Larissa Ione

Eternal Rider (Lords of Deliverance #1) - Larissa Ione

They are here. They ride. The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

His name is Ares, and the fate of mankind rests on his powerful shoulders. If he falls to the forces of evil, the world falls too. As one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, he is far stronger than any mortal, but even he cannot fight his destiny forever. Not when his own brother plots against him.

Yet there is one last hope. Gifted in a way other humans can't-or won't-understand, Cara Thornhart is the key to both this Horseman's safety and his doom. But involving Cara will prove treacherous, even beyond the maddening, dangerous desire that seizes them the moment they meet. For staving off eternal darkness could have a staggering cost: Cara's life.

Review

I bought this book in 2011 and didn't read it until 2015. Why? Well, I do have a huge TBR but given how much I love Larissa Ione that really wasn't it.

I started this book many times and just couldn't get past the opening. Ares seemed to cold. Cara too generic. The world gory, grim, and unyielding. I can't stand horro movies and parts of this book and this series veer sharply that way. If this book were a film, I would never have gotten through it or watched it. The villian is awful.

So, how did I end up reading this romance and likely it so much? Well, I have no problem reading out of order. I started with the novellas in this series and then read Rogue Rider where the villian in this one gets to be a hero again and then started in on this one.

Here is what I liked about this book--the love story. Ares comes to fully see Cara as her own kind of warrior. Ares grows. Cara's talent and animal/demon friends are awesome!

There is great adventure here.

I squinted my eyes through the villian, torture, and gore.

For me the wonderfulness isn't the mystery of the plot arcs for the series, I just enjoyed the realtionship. Good stuff.