Lost Soul: AJ's Burden (Healing Hearts, #4) by Nicky James 3.5 Star Review!

Lost Soul: A.J.'s Burden - Nicky James

What does rock bottom look like to you?

AJ Silva is about to find out. His life has been spiralling the drain for the past year, and if he doesn’t find a way out soon, he may die on the streets of San Francisco. Drowning in a severe drug addiction, battling every day to survive, AJ doesn’t know where to turn. His past haunts him in more ways than one, and leaves him both grasping and begging for change, while fearing his future. All AJ knows how to do is chase one problem away with another. How can you win the war when your enemy is yourself?

Trystain Larsson is an addict. Five years ago, he discovered rock bottom first hand. Since that dreaded day, he’s worked his recovery with everything he has. Helping others who’ve fallen victim to drugs gives him hope for a better tomorrow. If he can save even one person from that life, it will mean victory.

When AJ lands at his doorstep, Trystain gets more than he bargained for. Not only is AJ at the end of his rope, but there is something darker going on.

Coming off drugs is not an easy task, and with AJ, Trystain has his work cut out for him. During their time together, a bond that goes deeper than friendship grows.

Will mistakes from the past be barriers for the future? It’s hard to move forward, when you can’t stop looking back.

Review

I am a big fan of Nicky James and this entry into the Healing Hearts series is a good one.

We meet AJ in the 3rd book in the series and I was thrilled to see him get his HEA.

You don't have to read that book to enjoy this one but it will make it better.

James does a deep dive into addiction and the start of recovery here. And there are a pile of other triggers for sex trafficking and abuse of all kinds.

However, the heart of this book is the lovely romance between AJ and Trystan, two men who have never had a relationship before.

It is really sweet and healing overall with great secondary stories that I wouldn't mind reading more about.

I would have liked a richer epilogue as we are pretty early in recovery for AJ and being together for them both but as always James stellar writing and character development sees us through.