Ashes Review

Ashes - Sarah Gilman

Journalist Ambrosia Pellerin accepts an assignment involving the legendary phoenix, expecting, if nothing else, a little entertainment. Instead, she gets pregnant—by a surprisingly human-looking firebird, Reece Bennu.

Ambrosia and Reece struggle to make the best of their predicament, igniting a tentative romance despite Reece’s furious and powerful relatives who resent the mixed-blood child, a violent human out to prove the existence of phoenixes at any cost, and Ambrosia’s forced separation from her family and isolation in her new home.

Reece’s relatives plot murder while Ambrosia’s family faces a dire medical situation and ask her to return. Will the couple survive when Reece denies Ambrosia his trust and her freedom when she needs both more than anything?

Review

I was excited to read this book-- Phoenix Shifter, new paranormal world, unplanned pregnancy. Awesome!

It did not disappoint. The mythical based world building is good. The writing is crisp and pleasurable. The romance is well paced and endearing.

I can't compliment Sarah Gilman enough for being able to build such a fleshed out paranormal world in the space and genre tropes of a category romance. It is really hard to do and many fail.

We have a hero and a heroine facing an unplanned child and working to build a relationship when they don't know each other. I adore the "you are stuck with each other work it out theme" and Gilman does it well.  The issues of the hero introducing the heroine into is complicated life with his very real existing commitments and the heroines unpreparedness of expending motherhood and the need to change her life are realistically done.

The world building is natural and a lot of fun in this small space. I hope the sister get a book!

This was a lovely read.

I was given this book for my honest review. So, there you have it.