Unbound Review

Unbound - Cara McKenna

She set out to find herself, and discovered the darker side of desire.

Merry’s lost a lot recently—first her mother, then close to a hundred pounds. Feeling adrift, she strikes out in search of perspective. A three-week hike through the Scottish Highlands was supposed to challenge her new body and refocus her priorities, but when disaster strikes, she’s forced to seek refuge in the remote home of a brooding, handsome stranger…

Rob exiled himself to the Highlands years ago, desperate to escape his own self-destruction. Haunted by regrets, he avoids human contact at all costs…but when Merry turns up injured, he can’t very well run her off. And as he nurses her back to health, Rob can’t resist his guest’s sweet demeanor—or her flirtatious advances. The igniting passion between them rouses a secret appetite Rob has long struggled to keep hidden. But Merry craves nothing more than to help Rob surrender to his desires, and the journey draws the lovers into an entirely different kind of wilderness.

Review

I read this book a while ago but waited a bit for it to seep in a bit before reviewing.

McKenna has a powerful voice and a compelling way with words and characters. The issues in this romance are jagged for both characters really and very human.

This books looks into what happens when a man is a sub in a culture that doesn't think men should be that way. He has addiction issues and self hatred.

Merry is a mess herself. She has formally fat issues but is overall accepting.

The character driven nature of this love story and the romance work for me. However, the plotting doesn't. I ended up reading it all out of jumbled up orders because certain things went too slow and other parts too fast and you could see the blow up coming like a freight train.

I also wish this book had been a Happily Ever After rather than a Happily for Now and likely in the future.

I understand and value genre pushing but for me when I have this much angst and reversing of tropes in a Romance then I really need the steady heartbeat of a clear and glorious Happily Ever After. It is one reason I can allow my self to be put through the emotionial ringer with whole heartedness.

To be fair, it is a well done ending where the reader things their happiness is possible. However, I want to see it, feel it, and live it.

Great writing, great characters, pacing needs work.