Hound Dog & Bean by B.G. Thomas Review

Hound Dog & Bean - B.G. Thomas

There's been little love in H.D. "Hound Dog" Fisher's life since the death of his beloved mom when he was a boy. Bounced around the foster care system, he ran away as soon as he could… and took the foster dog with him. As far as he's concerned, only dogs have no ulterior motive, never hold a grudge, and offer unconditional love. Now he helps run a no-kill shelter and leaves relationships where they belong: in the back room.

"Bean" Alexander settled in Kansas City to open his coffee shop after years of traveling. He never expected to open his heart too. When a man with a grudge takes a swing at H.D. while in line at Bean's shop, Bean jumps to intervene.

So taking a hit for H.D. gets Bean noticed, and H.D. feels obligated to pay a debt. But then the unexpected happens. A series of misadventures causes H.D. to open up—but falling in love makes him turn tail and run. Trust is a tough road to travel. Will good friends, a dog named Sarah Jane, and a bit of folk magic be enough to bring Hound Dog and Bean a happy ending?
Review

I liked certain aspects of this book a lot. It is a love song to coffee and fair trade as well as to Kanas City which I have recently visited.

I liked the placeness of the story. Kanas City is a complicated place as the city is in two states. Also, this Midwestern Urban hub is where LGBTQA folks from all the smaller towns tend to settle and as such the city has a vibrant and compelling history which includes electing the first Transgender Woman to City Council, I have met her and she is amazing in every way. The University of Missouri, Kanas City houses GLAMA, one of the most extensive LGBTQA collection in the nation and the largest oral history collection of Trans history in the world. Please check it out.

Sadly, as much as the city was a character and I love dogs and rescue work and like deep dives into cool subjects like coffee sourcing, the romance lacked focus, Hound Dog and Bean took a long way to each other which include HD sleeping with others after they had been together which happens but is not my favorite in a love story.

So, I am glad I read it and will try this writer again but not great.