While we only make up only 1 to 2 percent of the world populations, were recently threatened with extinction, and South Park made us a very funny slur, we thrive in the pages of Romanceland.
Redheads have plenty of stereotypes to contend with like all hair colors but I think what I like about Gingers in Romance (besides the self representation is the way, when done right, being redheaded builds the the character physically. We are easier to blush, tend to have freckles, for better or worse think a great deal about our hair as do other people, come in so many shades, and well then there is the more intimate of ginger touches.
We will only show you if we really like you.
I love the scene in Outlander where Claire gazes on Jamie while he is nude in the sun getting to see all those private bits of redheadedness. This is my plea for please, please more ginger heroes in Romance. :)
There is also a stunning scene in Eileen Dryer's Never a Gentleman (The Drake's Rakes series) of discovery between the hero and the heroine. Wowza.
I recently waxed poetic about Mary Ann River's Live (The Burnside Series): The Burnside Series and all the details of the heroine's gingerness through the hero's loving, lustblown (I stole this word from Charlotte Stein and I am keeping it) eyes.
If you would like to see a great video on the Redheads, check this one out!
And now for the lists! In particular order of favorites but my top ten none the less, skipping those already mentioned,
Ginger Woman: Redheaded Heroine in Romance
1. The Devil in Winter (The Wallflowers, Book 3) by Lisa Kleypas
2. Timeless Moon (Tales of the Sazi, Book 6) by Adams and Clamp
3. Frisco's Kid by Suzanne Brockmann
5. Heart Choice (Celta) by Robin Owens
6. The Chocolate Touch (Amour et Chocolat) by Laura Florand
7. Troll-y Yours, a fantasy romance (The Centaurs) by Sheri Fredricks
10. Wolf and the Dove by Kathleen Woodiwiss
Have a favorite? Vote for yours at the Goodreads list: Ginger Women: Redheaded Heroine in Romance and please rec in reply.
Now the fellows!
Redheaded Romance Heroes
10. Laugh (The Burnside Series): A Loveswept Contemporary Romance by Mary Ann Rivers
Have a favorite? Vote for yours at the Goodreads list: Redheaded Romance Heroes and please rec in reply.
And some eye candy!